Over the time I have been blogging, there have been various posts that people keep going back to for information so this page is intended to be a way for me to consolidate those links and also link to specific tutorial posts that I write from time to time.
I’ve been a keen photographer for the best part of 30 years and, while I don’t consider myself a real expert (we all keep learning forever, don’t we?), I’ve probably picked up a few hints and tips along the way that could be useful to others. This section contains links to these hints and tips and some posts which relate to general photography and my approach to it.
- Random Hints – safe shutter speeds, how to hold a camera, etc.
- Real Photographers Shoot In Manual (or not)
- Shooting Skylines at Night
- Dramatic Sharpening in Photoshop
- The iPhone as a Photographer’s Tool
- Lessons From my Utah Landscape-Shooting Week
- Getting a Different Perspective
- Remote Location Scouting Tools
- The Value of Self-Imposed Limitation
Licensing and Copyright
I’m not a lawyer but here are some posts relating to the issues of licensing and copyright as I see them.
There are a huge number of HDR tutorial already available on the web but I still get asked questions about how I shoot and process HDR images so this is my take on the craft. I would encourage you to take a look at other HDR tutorials too, though, since I find it helps to have several different people’s impressions when I’m learning something new.
- HDR Tutorial, Part 1 – What is HDR all about?
- HDR Tutorial, Part 2 – Shooting for HDR
- HDR Tutorial, Part 3 – Generating an HDR Image
- HDR Tutorial, Part 4 – HDR Tone Mapping
- HDR Tutorial, Part 5 – My Tone Mapping Settings
- Musings on Dynamic Range, Bits and Stops
- Cracking the HDR Noise Problem
- HDR for Real Estate Photography
- Who says HDRs have to be colourful?
- HDR Notes for PhotoNetCast Listeners
- HDR From A Single Raw File
- Shooting Handheld for HDR
- Thwarting the Tripod Police
- Dealing With Colour Fringes
- Great Sky and Great Foreground
- How Many Exposures Should You Shoot?
- The Magic Blue Sky Halo Removal method
- Other HDR sites and tutorials I recommend
- An introduction to HDR photography (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Why HDR Sucks (or why some people think it does)